Apparently Facebook and Android do not go well together and other Social Media RisksJanuary 13th, 2011 | Small Business,Small Business Tips,Social Media | No Comments »
It’s Facebook. Again. This time it’s a vector for smartphone malware. According to an article on PC world, since the Android is more open source than either the iPhone or the Blackberry, it’s more prone to getting malware. Apparently BitDefender called Facebook the largest mobile malware….Facebook has a lot of problems doesn’t it? The malware gets on the devices through bad links on Facebook, since the malware is platform independent.
So here’s a refresher on Social Media risks.
- Turns out scams are more common then we think. Twitter accounts get hacked, malicious links get posted and so does Facebook. However, both sites are trying to improve their security.
- Many people often use the same password for numerous sites. We get it, it’s hard to remember so many passwords. So, write them down on a piece of paper or in a journal(do people keep those anymore?) and stick it somewhere safe.
- Don’t give too much information out either. Those vacation plans of yours, they might be better written down in an word/excel document and stored on your computer.
- Don’t post comments when angry! (They get around) And if it’s something really bad, there will be consequences. It’s fine to say something about how your toast was burnt this morning and how you hate burnt toast, but it’s another thing to say something about your company, your significant other, etc..
- Don’t click on any funny links! See a status update about how a friend needs money because her car got stolen in Chicago? Call them and check to see if it’s true. Most of the time, it isn’t. (This happened to me once. Turns out she really did need the money.)
- Make sure your company has a flexible Social Media security policy. Technology keeps on changing, so a flexible policy is a good policy!
- Keep up to date on the latest Social Media scams and threats. People keep coming up with new ones all the time!